In The Community

Family Violence Prevention Program

The Law

Know Your Rights and Legal Options

Domestic abuse is against the law. You have the right to be safe. There are many legal options available to help you.

Police report: The police must write a report for every domestic violence call, even if the abusive person has already left. You can make the report during or after an incident.

Civil standby: Anyone can call the police and ask them to be present for a limited time to keep the peace. You can ask for a “civil standby” when you need to collect clothing or property from your home after a domestic violence incident.

Emergency protective orders (EPOs): Plice officers can ger EPOs for victims of domestic violence 24 hours a day. Tell the plice officer what happened and why you’re afraid.

Restraining orders: Issued by the courts, restraining orders can order someone to not contact or go near your or your children, not have a gun, move out of your house, follow child custody and visitation orders, or pay child support. A temporary restraining order lasts until your next court date. At the time, the judge will decide to continue or cancel the order. The order could last for up to three years.

For more information, visit the California Courts Self-Help Center

Printable Information

Restraining Order Information English |