The landscape of health care is changing and hospitals are changing with it. As we settle into an age of health care reform in the United States, the focus on high-quality, affordable care is more important than ever before. Hospitals are grappling with an influx of new patients, many of whom are disproportionately older and sicker and are reliant on greater financial support for their care.
At the same time, our planet is going through tremendous environmental challenges that are affecting the health of ordinary citizens all over the world. Energy demands, toxic chemicals, water shortages, excessive waste and unsustainable food production systems are taking a toll on the earth’s land, air and water and having an unprecedented effect on our climate. The health risks posed by these environmental issues call out for a response
In Greening Health Care: How Hospitals Can Heal the Planet, author Kathy Gerwig examines the intersection between health care and environmental stewardship arguing that hospitals can and should play a critical role in supporting the health the planet.
All proceeds from the sale of Greening Health Care: How Hospitals Can Heal the Planet will go to Health Care Without Harm. Visit Oxford University Press to learn more about the book and purchase a copy. Electronic and print copies of the book are also available on Amazon.
Kathy Gerwig is the vice president of Employee Safety, Health and Wellness, and Environmental Stewardship Officer at Kaiser Permanente. She is the author of Greening Health Care. Learn more about Kathy Gerwig.
- Wall Street Journal — “Greening Health Care” by Kathy Gerwig:
A Look at Efforts to Reduce the Burden Hospital Operations Put on Their Communities Without Sacrificing Patient Care, by Laura Landro
- The Guardian — Detoxing health care: hospitals get greener, by Marc Gunther
- Catholic Health Association of the United States — Book Review – Greening Health Care: How Hospitals Can Heal the Planet, by Sr. Susan Vickers, RSM and Sr. Mary Ellen Leciejewski, OP
- The Hastings Center — Why Health Care is Going Green, by Blair L. Sadler
- Greenbiz.com — Kaiser exec: Can hospitals heal patients and the planet?
- Corporate Eco-Forum’s EcoInnovator Blog — How Hospitals Can Heal the Planet
- TriplePundit — How Hospitals Are Stepping Up to the Challenge of Climate Change
- Environmental Leader — Minimizing Environmental Footprint while Delivering Affordable Healthcare
- Fierce Healthcare — Going green reduces energy costs, improves overall population health, by Katie Sullivan