Because Kaiser Permanente is an integrated system of health care coverage, as well as a hospital system, we go well beyond providing charity care in our emergency departments and inpatient areas. We work to provide the uninsured and underinsured with a medical “home” where they can get continuity of care and comprehensive treatments. And, we offer our own low- or no-cost comprehensive health plans to many Californians who do not qualify for government aid.
- Our Child Health Plan provides comprehensive health coverage.
- Our Medical Financial Assistance (MFA) program is one of the most generous in the health care industry and is available to those patients in greatest need. The MFA program provides temporary financial assistance or free care to patients who receive health care services from our providers.
- We participate in public programs like Medi-Cal and Healthy Families
- We engage in planned charity care – by supporting programs such as Operation Access.
- Kaiser Permanente’s hospital emergency departments are open to all, regardless of their ability to pay or membership status.