DENVER — After years of planning, construction and preparation, Kaiser Permanente will open the doors to a new specialty center in Lone Tree on Dec. 2. This is the largest construction project and the most significant addition to the health plan’s brick-and-mortar presence in Colorado in nearly a decade.
Kaiser Permanente membership in the area south of Denver has grown substantially over the last nine years. Since 2010, membership statewide has grown 10.5 percent to more than 540,000, including 128,000 members from the South Metro Denver area. To better serve members close to home, the health plan has expanded primary care services to the area with new medical offices in Parker in 2009 and Castle Rock in 2011.
This new Lone Tree multi-specialty center represents the next phase of this south Denver expansion of services, bringing specialty care to the community. In addition to Lone Tree, Kaiser Permanente Colorado has a specialty center in downtown Denver on Franklin Street and another in Lafayette, which opened in 2005.
“The Lone Tree medical offices bring specialty care closer to you,” said Donna Lynne, DrPH, president, Kaiser Permanente Colorado. “If you live south of Denver and need to see an allergist, visit the ophthalmologist, have routine preventive screenings such as a mammogram or colonoscopy, or even same-day surgery or minor procedures – it’s all here. We are meeting you where you are.”
Kaiser Permanente Colorado member Sean Kahra is relieved that the new Lone Tree multi-specialty center is nearby.
“You never know when something is going to come up. Having medical care close to home means easier access. Knowing it’s right around the corner just gives you better peace of mind,” said Kahra.
Kaiser Permanente’s Lone Tree multi-specialty center is located at 10240 Park Meadows Drive (across the street from the RTD Lincoln Station Light Rail and northwest of Interstate 25 and East Lincoln Avenue). There are more than 300 health care professionals employed at the specialty center, including more than 40 physicians.
Kaiser Permanente members have access to the following specialty services at the new six-floor, 275,000-square-foot center:
- Garden Level — medical imaging, administration support and a café that serves members and staff
- First Floor — infusion services, laboratory, obstetrics-gynecology, oncology, ophthalmology, optical services, optometry, pharmacy, hearing services and other ancillary services
- Second Floor — ambulatory surgery center, anesthesia pain management, general surgery, minor procedure center, Pre-operative Evaluation and Education Center and wound care
- Third Floor — allergy and gastroenterology
- Fourth Floor — clinical palliative care, orthopedics and physical/occupational therapy
The center is being built through a phased development and will eventually encompass a 20-acre integrated health campus. Additional specialties, such as cardiology, endocrinology, neurology and dermatology, will be added to the center in phase two of the development.
“When a major facility like this opens up in a community it creates a lot of quality, high-paying jobs, so it’s pure economic development. Our community is really celebrating this,” said John Brackney, president of the South Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce. “Welcome, Kaiser Permanente, to our community.”
Many unique features have been incorporated into the design and construction of the Lone Tree multi-specialty center including:
- Multiple outdoor patio areas facing the Rocky Mountains on the west side of the building.
- A convenient driveway available to post-operative patients, which offers easy access to exits and waiting vehicles.
- A walkway around the perimeter of the campus available for walking meetings as well as exercise for members and staff.
The multi-specialty center has been constructed under the United States Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification system. The rigorous certification process awards points for features such as site sustainability, water and energy use, materials and resources and indoor air quality.
Some of the “green” features in the center include:
- Use of building materials with recycled contents and lower toxins.
- Water-use reduction of 20 percent through xeriscaping and low-flow plumbing fixtures.
- Energy-use reduction targeted at 20 percent through Xcel Energy conservation measures built into the project.
- Shading devices installed in window wall system to help balance solar heat gain.
Members of the community will be invited to an open house on Dec. 14 from 1-4 p.m. for a chance to tour the facility, participate in fun activities and meet some of the Lone Tree staff and physicians.
About Kaiser Permanente Colorado
Kaiser Permanente Colorado is the state’s largest nonprofit health plan, proudly working to improve the lives and health of Colorado residents for more than 40 years. Kaiser Permanente Colorado provides comprehensive health care services to more than 540,000 members through 26 medical offices and a network of affiliated hospitals and physicians. The health plan was named “Highest in Member Satisfaction” among Commercial Health Plans by J.D. Power and Associates for the sixth straight year. Kaiser Permanente was recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as the top- ranked commercial health plan in Colorado and the fourth ranked Medicare plan in the nation. Kaiser Permanente was also recently recognized as a 2012 Hypertension Champion by Million Hearts™. In 2012, Kaiser Permanente proudly directed more than $92 million to community benefit programs to improve the health of all Coloradans. For more Kaiser Permanente news, visit kp.org/share or follow us on twitter @kpcolorado or facebook.com/kpcolorado.