Kaiser Permanente’s evaluation team has designed an ongoing, evaluation methodology and approach, which we call “Dose” that has become fundamental to the work of Community Health Initiatives. Our experiences with communities across the country have taught us that strategies for improving health among populations can be designed and implemented in ways that maximize their reach and strength — their dose — and thereby the likelihood of seeing health improvements at the population level.
Dose matters because it holds the promise of helping us reach our goals faster, more efficiently and with more lasting impact than we would without the insights Dose offers.
The following article provides a good overview of the dose methodology and how it has been used to inform Kaiser Permanente’s Community Health Initiatives:
- Dose Matters: An Approach to Strengthening Community Health Strategies to Achieve Greater Impact — discussion paper published by the National Academy of Medicine/Institute of Medicine
To support the spread of the Dose methodology for those who are doing community health intervention work, Kaiser Permanente and the Center for Community Health and Evaluation have created the Healthy Dose Toolkit with interlinked tools and resources below:
- Healthy Dose: A Toolkit for Boosting the Impact of Community Health Strategies — an interactive compendium of Dose tools and resources that provides an overview of the methodology and an understanding of how to apply Dose to community health intervention strategies. Note: we recommend saving the toolkit PDF to your computer or device and opening it with Adobe Reader, which you can download for free.
- Dose Overview — A brief overview of Dose.
- Dose Calculator — An excel worksheet to assist with calculating the dose of community intervention strategies.
- Healthy Dose Presentation — A PowerPoint presentation that walks audiences through Dose.
- Strategy Selection Checklist — Thoughtful questions to consider when choosing community intervention strategies.
- Strength Rating Guide — A tool that presents the average dose strength of common community intervention strategies to assist when planning strategy clusters.
The Center for Community Health & Evaluation has been helping to lead the evaluation work around our Community Health Initiatives at Kaiser Permanente. For more information, visit the CCHE webpage.