Through KP LAUNCH, Kaiser Permanente offers young adults a variety of paid internship opportunities in our Oakland headquarters and administrative offices, as well as medical offices across northern California. We connect interns with inspiring health care professionals and leaders and give them the support they need to explore the many careers that are available in health care.
KP LAUNCH Programs
As part of our team, interns help us shape the future while gaining practical experience and building a valuable professional network. Our interns work have the opportunity to work for an industry leader on projects that matter.
- KP LAUNCH High School (formerly SYEP): Eight-week, full-time paid summer work experiences for young adults ages 16 through 20. Learn more.
- KP LAUNCH College: Eight to 10-week, full-time paid summer employment for college undergraduates that are pursuing careers in health care administration, business and finance. Learn more.
- KP LAUNCH Year Round: Extended internship positions offered at various times throughout the year. More information coming soon!
Our vision for KP LAUNCH is to positively impact the lives of young adults from backgrounds that are currently underrepresented in health care careers, and build a pipeline of diverse talent that will become future leaders in health care. This is all part of Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to high quality care, and being able to meet the cultural and linguistic needs of northern California’s increasingly diverse communities.
More specifically, our goals are to:
- Introduce underrepresented and low-income high school and undergraduate interns to careers in health professions.
- Provide opportunities for interns to develop and foster professional and community leadership skills in a supportive environment.
- Help interns to obtain practical job skills and experiences that will help them be successfully pursue employment in the health professions.
- Encourage interns that face significant barriers in pursuing higher education and career development.
KP LAUNCH High School
High School Program Features
- Participation in an 8-week paid summer work experience.
- Workshops designed to give participants valuable personal and professional skills development.
- Mentors provide insight on how to prepare for a career in health care.
- Networking opportunities with peers and senior leaders through work-based activities, community service projects, or social events.
Eligibility: High school interns must:
- Be between the ages of 16 and 20 (priority is given to Juniors and Seniors).
- Be a high school student or recent high school graduate (in the last 12 months).
- Be available to work full-time during eight-week summer program.
- Have permanent residence in a Northern California Kaiser Permanente designated service area.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted in-person at any of the Kaiser Permanente communities surrounding our northern California offices. Applications are shared directly with local school and community contacts and organizations in the spring. For more information please email us at Kp.Launch@kp.org
“My internship experience at Kaiser has challenged me to use my technical skills as an entirely new approach to problem solving, which enabled me to thrive in a corporate environment.”
–The Permanente Medical Group, Monitoring and Recovering department, 2nd Year Intern
College Program Features
- 8-10 week paid summer internship
- Mentorship and networking
- Job shadowing opportunities
- Professional and personal development workshops
- Community service experience
- Exposure to senior leaders in their field of interest
Minimum eligibility: College interns must:
- Attend or plan to attend a four-year undergraduate college or university
- Provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Demonstrate leadership ability through campus activities, community service or previous employment
- Have permanent residence in a Northern California Kaiser Permanente Designated Service Area
How to Apply & Selection Process
Additional eligibility requirements and selection processes differ for the three options listed below. Please visit each organization’s website for a full list of program requirements and processes.
For more information please email us at Kp.Launch@kp.org.