Kaiser Permanente’s 2012 annual report, “The Picture of Health,” is now available online and for download at kp.org/annualreport.
The report provides a snapshot of Kaiser Permanente’s strategies and successes in 2012, through which we led the nation in quality measures as well as member and customer satisfaction empowering the total health of our more than 9 million members and the communities we serve. This year, the report incorporates what has traditionally been a separate community benefit report, in recognition of our community benefit work as integral to our mission and a strategic business imperative.
The theme “The Picture of Health” reflects how Kaiser Permanente has brightened the picture of health for our members, our patients, and the communities we serve throughout 2012. In addition to stories from throughout the organization and videos of members of our care teams, the site also includes videos of our members sharing their own stories.
BEHIND EVERY NUMBER ARE LIVES MADE BETTER
- 9,056,234 members
- 94,292 babies delivered
- 88 million+ secure sign-ons to My Health Manager
- 1.2 million mammograms
- 1.7 million colorectal cancer screenings
2012 COMMUNITY INVESTMENTS
- Approximately $2 billion invested in our community
- $69.5 million in grants and donations
- $27.9 million to safety-net clinics, hospitals, and health departments
- $169.4 million invested in health research
- 1 million+ people reached by Educational Theatre Program
You will see that again in 2012, Kaiser Permanente achieved some of the best clinical scores, safety ratings, and member satisfaction rankings in the nation. We also invested approximately $2 billion to support better health outcomes in the communities where those most in need live, work, learn and play. And you will see how our thousands of front-line care delivery teams are working together every day to provide our members with even better quality and service, and more affordable care.
Among the 2012 successes highlighted in the report:
- In 2012, seventeen Kaiser Permanente hospitals — 10 in Northern California and seven in Southern California — have been named 2012 “Top Hospitals” by the Leapfrog Group, an honor that rewards medical centers for their outstanding success in areas such as reducing infection rates, safety practices, mortality rates for common procedures and measures of efficiency.
- Kaiser Permanente again leads the nation among Medicare health plans with the most No. 1s, receiving top marks for the country in 13 out of 37 effectiveness of care measures. No other Medicare health plan in the nation, out of the nearly 400 that were considered by National Committee for Quality Assurance’s Quality Compass®, had more than four No. 1 national rankings among the effectiveness of care measures.
- Kaiser Permanente is one of two recipients of the prestigious annual 2012 John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Awards. The award recognizes Kaiser Permanente’s implant registries, which help care teams to improve the quality of care provided to its 9 million members by using integrated data systems and advanced statistical analyses to monitor patient outcomes, evaluate new and established device technologies, and identify and facilitate implementation of clinical best practices.
- All Kaiser Permanente members in the nation can now connect to caregivers and access their medical information from anywhere in the world on their mobile devices. Since its launch in late January 2012, our Kaiser Permanente app has been downloaded more than half a million times on iPhone and Android devices.
- By year’s end, we had more than 33,000 downloads to our Every Body Walk! mobile site, helping us spread the message that walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week, really can improve your overall health and prevent disease.
- In 2012, Kaiser Permanente partnered with HBO, the Institute of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation to produce the Emmy-nominated The Weight of the Nation documentary series and public health campaign. It presented a unique opportunity to spotlight the severity of the obesity epidemic, showcase strategies that work, and spur action to end obesity.
- Kaiser Permanente is among the top providers of HIV/AIDS care in the nation and we have eliminated disparities to provide high-quality care to all patients. In 2012, we launched the Kaiser Permanente HIV Challenge, and are sharing tools, mentoring, training, health IT expertise, research, and clinical best practices, to help other care providers to achieve similar results.
To conserve paper and resources, and in alignment with Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to sustainable practices, the At-A-Glance printed version will be available in limited quantities and available for download. The complete report is available online and includes videos and success stories of our members, employees, physicians, and communities.